Construction Lien Foreclosure


Additional Ensuite And TheaterThe NJ construction lien attorneys at LoFaro & Reiser, L.L.P. represent general contractors, subcontractors, materials suppliers, architects, engineers and other construction professionals in actions to foreclose and collect on construction liens. Construction liens, also referred to as mechanics liens, apply only to private projects.

Like most states, New Jersey recognizes the enforcement of construction liens or mechanic’s liens against real estate.  As stated in Section 2A:44-3 of the New Jersey Construction Lien Law, “[A]ny contractor, subcontractor or supplier who provides work, services, material or equipment pursuant to a contract, shall be entitled to a lien for the value of the work or services performed, or materials or equipment furnished in accordance with the contract and based upon the contract price, … The lien shall attach to the interest of the owner or unit owner of the real property development, or be filed against the community association,….” N.J.S.A. 2A:44-3.

However, there are strict requirements to be followed and strict time limitations imposed for the enforcement of construction liens which, if not met, will render the lien defective.

  • Written contract required. In most states a mechanic’s lien can be foreclosed upon either a written or verbal contract. In those states it is nevertheless recommended the contract be in writing. New Jersey is different. It mandatorily requires that everyone, whether general contractors, subcontractors, or suppliers, have a written contract in order to have the right to later file a mechanic’s lien. But the New Jersey statutes go even further. They require that all change orders and contract addenda be in writing. Be very careful about this aspect of the law. If an extra is not in writing, it cannot be part of your lien.
  • 90-day period to record construction lien claim.  With the exception of all cases involving a residential construction contract, the New Jersey Construction Lien Law requires that the lien claim form must be recorded with the County Clerk where the property is located within 90 days following the date the last work, services, material or equipment was provided for which payment is claimed.” N.J.S.A. 2A:44A-6.
  • 1 year period to file lawsuit to enforce construction lien claim.  A construction lien claimant will be deemed to have forfeited all rights to enforce the lien if the claimant fails to commence an action in the Superior Court of New Jersey in the county where the property is situated, to enforce the lien claim:
    1. Within 1 year of the date the last provision of work, services, material or equipment, payment for which the lien claim was filed.
    2. Within 30 days following receipt of written notice, by personal service or certified mail, return receipt requested, from the owner, community association, contractor, or subcontractor against whose account a lien claim is filed, requiring the claimant to commence an action to enforce the lien claim.

Residential Construction liens

New Jersey recognizes several important distinctions with residential construction lien claims. Again, strict adherence to the procedure and deadlines is critical.

Contact our NJ construction lien foreclosure attorneys today to discuss your construction lien claim.

Contact Us Today to Discuss Your Legal Matter.

For emergent matters, please call us at (201) 870-4938

  • Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
  • Contact Information

    411 Hackensack Avenue
    Hackensack, NJ 07601

    Phone Number
    (201) 870-4938


    Awards: Best Law Firms Metro Region New Jersey • New Jersey Super Lawyers • Best Lawyers in America • 201 Bergen Magazine • Avvo Top 10 Lawyer

    © 1997 – 2023   Shapiro, Croland, Reiser, Apfel, & Di Iorio, LLP. All rights reserved. All rights reserved. Advertising Disclaimer: This web site constitutes an ADVERTISEMENT. Before making your choice of attorney, you should give this matter careful thought. The selection of an attorney is an important decision. If you believe this web site is inaccurate or misleading, you may report same to the Committee on Attorney Advertising, Hughes Justice Complex, CN 037, Trenton, N.J. 08625. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.