Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Enforcing Judgments From Other States & Countries

Enforcing Foreign Judgments in New Jersey

Enforcing Foreign Judgments NJOur New Jersey debt collection attorneys represent creditors who are attempting to enforce judgments entered in other states and countries against businesses and individuals who reside and/or maintain assets in New Jersey. Our representation of creditors in this context includes enforcing arbitration awards that have been reduced to a final judgment in another state court or foreign country.

Over the past 19 years our attorneys have represented numerous clients who have retained our services to enforce judgments entered in other states and countries.

  • Enforcing Judgments From Other States:  In New Jersey, judgments entered in another state are enforceable pursuant to the  Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act codified in N.J.S.A. 2A:49A-25.
  • Enforcing Judgments From Other Countries:  Actions to enforce foreign judgments entered in another country expressed in a foreign currency are enforceable in New Jersey pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:49A-11.

Our success in enforcing out-of-state judgments against New Jersey businesses and individuals includes:

  • Recovering a judgment in excess of $85,000 for a Pennsylvania company against a New Jersey real estate developer (North American Window vs.  American Properties Realty, Inc., et al., Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division, Middlesex County, Judgment No.: DJ-300871-07)
  • Securing a judgment against a New Jersey company on the grounds that it was the successor-in-interest or alter ego of an insolvent debtor who attempted to evade enforcement of our client’s Florida judgment. (CL Industries, Inc. vs. Baires Pool Plastering, LLC, et al, Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division, Union County, Docket No.: UNN-L-0716-12)
How to record a foreign judgment in New Jersey?
NJ Judgment Collection Attorneys

Read our article on docketing foreign judgments in New Jersey, providing a step-by-step procedure to record or domesticate a foreign judgment in New Jersey. Once docketed in NJ, a foreign judgment automatically becomes a statewide lien on the judgment debtor’s real estate in New Jersey and can be enforced in the same manner as any other judgment originally entered in New Jersey.

Enforcing Foreign Judgments NJ

If you or your business needs assistance in recording and enforcing a judgment from another state or country in New Jersey, please contact our NJ judgment collection attorneys today. One of our experienced collection lawyers will respond to your inquiry within 24 – 48 hours.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Print This Page Print This Page
Call Now Button